Saturday, July 31, 2010

Week Number 3



It was my third week already attending Using and Developing Resources For the ESL Classroom lecture with Puan Foziah.


So, for this week, rather than Puan Foziah talking, we were the one who were going to give the talking. We were asked to prepare a presentation about Working with language learners, the first chapter from the book entitled Teaching English in the Primary Classroom, written by Susan Halliwell. Puan Foziah then asked us to look at 6 qualities that young learners possess, and they are:
I.CHILDREN'S ABILITY TO GRASP MEANING
II.CHILDREN'S CREATIVE USE OF LIMITED LANGUAGE RESOURCES
III.CHILDREN'S CAPACITY FOR DIRECT/INDIRECT LEARNING
IV.CHILDREN'S INSTINCT FOR PLAY AND FUN
V.THE ROLE OF IMAGINATION
VI.THE INSTINCT FOR INTERACTION AND TALK

Before that, we were divided into six small groups and assigned with a subtopic each. In grouping us, we were asked to say numbers from 1 to 6, and I was in group 2 and had to present about “Children’s creative use of limited language resources.” In this particular subtopic, the main focus is about how we could stretch children’s creativity in using the language and which areas children are creative with in applying the language.

After an hour preparing, it was time to present and my group was the fifth group to present. It was a nervy moment for me to be honest to present and talk in front of the big audience as I am a shy and not a talkative person, moreover, it had been a long time since I last presented in front of a big crowd. This is the problem that is still unresolved eventhough I had went through a lot of presentations prior to this.


It was two groups to go before my group’s turn when suddenly a lecturer appeared at the front door, nagging and whining to Puan Foziah, complaining something about the usage of the computer laboratories for a while. She actually demanded the room that we were using as she had a class at 12.30pm. Minutes later after discussing with all of us, Puan Foziah decided to release all of us earlier. This incident reminded me the importance of being tolerant and considerable in every situation that I am going to face, especially the difficult ones.

However, all things considered, I was pretty relieved actually. It was indeed a blessing in disguise for me (as I didn’t have to present it on that day), but for how long this feeling would continue?????Hmmmm….not for long for sure..

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Farizul..I totally agree with you as I myself too, having the same feelings for not wanting to present in front after HOLIDAY for so long... haha... but we must remember that our job is teaching, we cannot run away from presenting either as a leader or a teacher in the future. so, all the best for all of us, the future TECAHER.. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,u re right,its a little bit rusty for me when i do not present 4 quite a long time,but hopfully this wont happen because i will be 'tired' of talking when i have become a teacher =p

    ReplyDelete